If i had a black hole of 20 solar masses, how much energy would it radiate?

In summary, the temperature of a black hole is inversely proportional to its mass, with smaller and less massive black holes being hotter and radiating more energy. However, larger black holes, such as a 20 solar mass black hole, would be colder than the 2.75 Kelvin microwave background and act as net absorbers. To find how small a black hole would have to be to radiate heat at a noticeable rate, one could use the equations provided by George Jones.
rubecuber

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you are referring to Hawking radiation, essentially none. Black holes are "observed" by their effect on accreting matter, which is very energetic.

rubecuber said:

Let's assume your 20 solar-mass black hole is totally isolated, i.e., nothing is falling in.

The temperature (Kelvin) of the black hole is given by

[tex]T = \frac{\hbar c^3}{8 \pi k G M}.[/tex]

Using the stuff below, can you work out the temperature of the black hole?

[tex]c=3.00\times10^8m/s[/itex]
[tex]G=6.67\times 10^{-11} m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2}[/tex]
[tex]\hbar=1.054\times 10^{-34} J.s[/tex]
[tex]k=1.381\times 10^{-23} J/K[/tex]
[tex]M_{Sun}=1.989\times10^{30} kg[/tex]

rubecuber said:

mathman and George Jones already answered. the smaller and less massive holes are hotter and radiate more watts

big massive ones (like solar mass and up) are colder than the 2.75 kelvin microwave background----they'd be net absorbers under most circumstances

you could turn the question around and ask how small would a BH have to be for it to have an interesting temperature, and radiate heat at some noticeable rate. you know, could you heat a cup of coffee with one? I don't know the answer but George Jones has provided the necessary equations I think.

Related to If i had a black hole of 20 solar masses, how much energy would it radiate?

1. How is the energy of a black hole measured?

The energy of a black hole is typically measured by its mass, or the amount of matter it contains. In this case, the black hole has a mass of 20 solar masses, meaning it is equivalent to 20 times the mass of our sun.

2. What is the formula for calculating the energy radiated by a black hole?

The formula for calculating the energy radiated by a black hole is E = mc^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass, and c is the speed of light. Using this formula, the energy radiated by a black hole of 20 solar masses would be approximately 1.8 x 10^47 joules.

3. How does the energy radiated by a black hole compare to other sources of energy in the universe?

The energy radiated by a black hole is one of the most powerful sources of energy in the universe. It is estimated that a black hole with a mass of 20 solar masses can radiate more energy in one second than our sun will radiate in its entire lifetime.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of energy a black hole can radiate?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, there is no limit to the amount of energy a black hole can radiate. As the black hole continues to consume matter, its mass and therefore its energy output will continue to increase.

5. How does the energy radiated by a black hole affect its surroundings?

The energy radiated by a black hole can have a significant impact on its surroundings. It can cause strong gravitational forces that can pull in nearby objects, as well as heat up and ionize any surrounding gas or dust. This can lead to the formation of new stars or even entire galaxies.